tirsdag 11. september 2012

Thesis and defence of thesis

Last Friday I had the final defence of my thesis, at the Physics Department of the University of Oslo. I had a stressing couple of weeks before the defence, but when I was there it was actually quite a nice experience.

My two opponents were Aline Rougier from CNRS in France and Björgvin Hjörvarsson from Uppsala University, Sweden. Both of my opponents did an excellent job in pointing out the weaknesses and the strengths of my work. We also actually had a quite interesting discussion, especially concerning the photochromic effect in yttrium hydride films, but also on the origin and nature of oxygen in the samples.

Discussions with Björgvin Hjörvarsson and me about the origin of oxygen and chemical reactions in the deposition of thin-film metal hydrides.


To quickly summarize my work: I have been working with the deposition and characterization of thin films of metal hydrides, with the purpose of utilization in solar energy technology. Originally the focus was to develop metal hydride semiconductors for solar cell technology (see blogpost), and results with magnesium nickel hydride (Mg2NiH4) showed that this material had quite interesting properties for this purpose (see blogpost). Further, during my work I made the discovery of a strong photochromic effect in yttrium hydride films. This was the first ever demonstration of photochromism in a metal hydride at ambient conditions (see blogpost), and may thus have relevance for technological applications of photochromic materials.


The presentation I used for presenting my thesis in the public defence. Operate via the forward-backward controls in the bottom of the graphic.

My thesis, entiteled "Thin-film metal hydrides for solar energy applications" can be viewed and downloaded from academia.edu.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Your thesis paper was amazing! Did you successfully defend it? Well, from how it looks, I bet it was definitely a success! The presentation is also great. Good presentation just means that you really know what you are talking about.

    SvarSlett